Harpointner Discusses Snafus That Can Sink Your Social Media Marketing Plans
December 1, 2010
BtoB Magazine interviewed AIS Media CEO, Thomas Harpointner on the top pitfalls businesses should avoid when using social media for their marketing plans. Harpointner has developed a list of the top ten social media pitfalls that businesses should avoid when using social media. In the BtoB interview, Harpointner discussed these pitfalls and why business often overlook them and make mistakes in their social media marketing. They include failure to plan properly, spreading yourself too thin by using every social channel available; thinking of social media as a quick fix for your marketing ills; using social media for blatant sales pitches; and treating social media as one-way communication instead of a dialogue that requires continual responses.
“Some companies have simply repurposed their regular marketing messages into social media posts, but you have to expect that people will respond to your social program,” said Thomas Harpointner, CEO of AIS Media. “People will expect you to reply quickly and, if you don’t, you’ll miss out. It’s like setting up an 800-number and having nobody there to answer.”
Harpointner’s top ten social media pitfalls for businesses to avoid:
- Failure to properly plan.
- Avoid spreading yourself too thin.
- Don’t think of social media as a quick-fix.
- Don’t think that just because you’ve built it, they will come.
- Don’t just follow the followers.
- Don’t make blatant sales pitches.
- Don’t treat social media as a one way street.
- Don’t assign the responsibility of managing your social media strategy to an intern.
- Don’t treat social media as an island.
- Don’t delay the launch of your social media strategy.
To avoid these social media pitfalls, click to read the full blog article here: “10 Killer Social Media Pitfalls Businesses Must Avoid”
To read the origionally published article in B2B Magazine, click here: “Snafus that can sink your social media marketing plans“